What's your favorite Christmas dessert recipe?

ScaryMary68

My absolute specialty is an old favorite with a twist:
Spiced Orange & Chocolate Layered Pavlova

Ingredients:

1. Meringue Layers:
    • 4 large egg whites
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 tsp white vinegar
    • 1 tsp cornflour
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  2. Chocolate Ganache:
    • 200-250g dark chocolate, finely chopped
    • 200-250ml heavy cream
  3. Spiced Orange Compote:
    • 3 large oranges, peeled and segments cut out
    • 1/2 cup orange juice
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 2 star anise (I get it, not everyone likes it... )
    • 1 tsp ground ginger (same as above)
  4. Whipped Cream:
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 2 tbsp icing sugar
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  5. Garnish:
    • Fresh mint leaves
    • Pomegranate seeds
    • Edible gold leaf (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the Meringue Layers:
    • Preheat your oven to 120°C (250°F) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
    • Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gradually add sugar, beating until the meringue is glossy.
    • Gently fold in vinegar, cornflour, and vanilla extract.
    • Divide the meringue between the baking sheets, forming two circles.
    • Bake for 1.5 hours, then turn off the oven and let the meringue cool inside with the door ajar.
  2. Make the Chocolate Ganache:
    • Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just begins to simmer.
    • Pour over chopped chocolate, let it sit for a minute, then stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
  3. Prepare the Spiced Orange Compote:
    • In a saucepan, combine orange segments, juice, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, and ginger.
    • Simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the oranges are tender and the sauce has thickened. Let it cool.
  4. Whip the Cream:
    • Whip the cream with icing sugar and vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks.
  5. Assemble the Pavlova:
    • Place one meringue layer on a serving plate. Spread half of the whipped cream, then drizzle some chocolate ganache over it.
    • Spoon half of the spiced orange compote on top.
    • Gently place the second meringue layer on top and repeat the layers of cream, ganache, and compote.
    • Garnish with fresh mint, pomegranate seeds, and edible gold leaf.
  6. Serving:
    • Let the Pavlova sit for an hour before serving to let the flavors meld.
I hope you like it. It has been a family recipe for quite some time and it is always a success!!

My absolute specialty is an old favorite with a twist:
Spiced Orange & Chocolate Layered Pavlova

Ingredients:

1. Meringue Layers:
    • 4 large egg whites
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 tsp white vinegar
    • 1 tsp cornflour
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  2. Chocolate Ganache:
    • 200-250g dark chocolate, finely chopped
    • 200-250ml heavy cream
  3. Spiced Orange Compote:
    • 3 large oranges, peeled and segments cut out
    • 1/2 cup orange juice
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 2 star anise (I get it, not everyone likes it... )
    • 1 tsp ground ginger (same as above)
  4. Whipped Cream:
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 2 tbsp icing sugar
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  5. Garnish:
    • Fresh mint leaves
    • Pomegranate seeds
    • Edible gold leaf (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the Meringue Layers:
    • Preheat your oven to 120°C (250°F) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
    • Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gradually add sugar, beating until the meringue is glossy.
    • Gently fold in vinegar, cornflour, and vanilla extract.
    • Divide the meringue between the baking sheets, forming two circles.
    • Bake for 1.5 hours, then turn off the oven and let the meringue cool inside with the door ajar.
  2. Make the Chocolate Ganache:
    • Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just begins to simmer.
    • Pour over chopped chocolate, let it sit for a minute, then stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
  3. Prepare the Spiced Orange Compote:
    • In a saucepan, combine orange segments, juice, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, and ginger.
    • Simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the oranges are tender and the sauce has thickened. Let it cool.
  4. Whip the Cream:
    • Whip the cream with icing sugar and vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks.
  5. Assemble the Pavlova:
    • Place one meringue layer on a serving plate. Spread half of the whipped cream, then drizzle some chocolate ganache over it.
    • Spoon half of the spiced orange compote on top.
    • Gently place the second meringue layer on top and repeat the layers of cream, ganache, and compote.
    • Garnish with fresh mint, pomegranate seeds, and edible gold leaf.
  6. Serving:
    • Let the Pavlova sit for an hour before serving to let the flavors meld.
I hope you like it. It has been a family recipe for quite some time and it is always a success!!
Sounds delish!

Wicked Spiced Cranberry-Apple Cider Sangria

Grab a bottle of red wine, something fruity like Merlot or Zinfandel works best. Pour that into a big pitcher. Now, splash in 2 cups of apple cider and a cup of cranberry juice – the unsweetened kind, you know? Next, add half a cup of brandy for that kick. Sweeten the deal with about a quarter cup of honey or maple syrup, but hey, you do you – taste and tweak it!

Now for the fun bits. Toss in a couple of cinnamon sticks, slice up an orange and an apple and chuck them in. Don’t forget a cup of fresh cranberries for that festive vibe. Give it all a good stir.

Let this bad boy chill in the fridge for a few hours, overnight if you can, to let all those flavors get friendly with each other.

When it's time to serve, give it another stir, pour it out, and make sure you get some of that fruity goodness in each glass. Top it off with a sprig of rosemary for that Christmassy look and extra flavor. And there you have it, a killer Spiced Cranberry-Apple Cider Sangria that'll be the talk of your Christmas bash! 🎄🍹

Wicked Spiced Cranberry-Apple Cider Sangria

Grab a bottle of red wine, something fruity like Merlot or Zinfandel works best. Pour that into a big pitcher. Now, splash in 2 cups of apple cider and a cup of cranberry juice – the unsweetened kind, you know? Next, add half a cup of brandy for that kick. Sweeten the deal with about a quarter cup of honey or maple syrup, but hey, you do you – taste and tweak it!

Now for the fun bits. Toss in a couple of cinnamon sticks, slice up an orange and an apple and chuck them in. Don’t forget a cup of fresh cranberries for that festive vibe. Give it all a good stir.

Let this bad boy chill in the fridge for a few hours, overnight if you can, to let all those flavors get friendly with each other.

When it's time to serve, give it another stir, pour it out, and make sure you get some of that fruity goodness in each glass. Top it off with a sprig of rosemary for that Christmassy look and extra flavor. And there you have it, a killer Spiced Cranberry-Apple Cider Sangria that'll be the talk of your Christmas bash! 🎄🍹
Not bad, I will try that this X-mas!

Kicking off the festive season with my go-to Christmas dessert - classic gingerbread cookies! 🍪 There’s nothing like the smell of ginger and cinnamon to fill the home with holiday cheer. I add a touch of orange zest to my dough for an extra zing. What’s your holiday baking tradition?

Reflecting on historical desserts, I recently tried my hand at making a traditional Victorian Christmas Pudding. It’s fascinating how this recipe has been passed down through generations. Lighting it aflame with brandy is quite the showstopper! Does anyone else enjoy making historical recipes?

I’m all about the details, so my favorite is intricately decorated sugar cookies. I spend hours designing them with royal icing, creating different Christmas themes. It’s a labor of love and a fantastic way to personalize the holiday table. Any tips on perfecting icing consistency?

Here’s a list for those looking for easy yet delicious Christmas desserts:

1. Peppermint bark - only requires three ingredients!
  2. Chocolate truffles - rich, decadent, and perfect for gifting.
  3. Christmas wreath pavlova - a festive showstopper.Would love to hear more simple recipes if anyone has them!

In the spirit of Christmas, I made a vegan yule log last year, embracing the essence of holiday traditions while keeping it plant-based. The challenge of substituting ingredients but keeping the flavors rich and festive was rewarding. Any fellow vegans with holiday recipes to share?

As someone new to baking, I tried making mini apple pies in a muffin tin, and they were a hit! They’re like little bites of comfort, perfect for Christmas gatherings. Would love more ideas for beginner-friendly holiday treats!

With the busy holiday season, I always go for no-bake options to save time. Last year’s favorite was a no-bake cheesecake with a gingerbread crust. It was a refreshing twist on traditional holiday flavors. Anyone else have favorite no-bake holiday desserts?

Challenging the traditional Christmas dessert narrative with a tiramisu. It’s not typical holiday fare, but its layers of coffee-soaked ladyfingers and mascarpone cream bring joy and warmth to any holiday table. Curious to know, what non-traditional desserts do you serve for Christmas?